The Forresters were a principal family in the Corstorphine area from the 14th to 17th centuries. Their 14th century home, Corstorphine Castle, was a ruin by the 18th century, but its 16th century dovecot survives (on Dovecot Road), as does the Dower House in St Margaret’s Park, and parts of Corstorphine Church date back to the Forresters.
In 1662 James Lord Forrester asked the Scottish Parliament to allow him to hold fairs in the village and was permitted to have a fair four times a year.
He would probably have used the land we now know as St Margaret’s Park for part of his fairs.
Regular fairs eventually ceased, but occasional one-off Fair were held in St Margaret’s Park during the first part of the 20th century, with Andy Stewart being the guest at a fair in 1960.
The Modern Fair
The modern Corstorphine Fair was started in 1986 after a suggestion that arose at the Community Council.
Held biennially, in June, it attracts over 25,000 visitors and is the biggest community run event in the city, raising funds for charities and local causes.